Re: designing for Macs

by Kid Stevens <Kidstevens(at)comcast.net>

 Date:  Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:17:38 -0600
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Actually it has to do again with the the Monitors PCs used originally.
Once the PCs used the totally configurable monitors the world of graphics
went nuts.  When the Mac monitors came out they were all set at the
printer's point size for accurate reproduction.  Even after market
manufacturers made the monitors for Macs that way.

Now the PC grew above Win 3.0.  The monitors had to deal with every little
company making whatever video card they could come up with.  Monitor people
had to keep up rather than tell those companies "here are the settings that
we use."

So now on any machine look at the possible combinations.  I can't begin to
tell you the number of times I have walked in to consult with someone and
seen the PC 14" monitor set at 1024 * 900 or some other screwball setting.
A TV is 640*480 the same as the Mac original 13" monitor.  As they get
bigger the picture gets worse since the pixel count can't go up.  A 27" TV
has the same number of pixels as a 13" TV.  Not so on computers.  as the
screen gets larger there are more pixels on the monitor surface so we can
maintain a larger pixel count in the video card.

A test to see if 6 point text will work on the Mac is go to kinkos and use
a Mac to view it or print the page on a postscript printer.  If it is not
easily read on the paper it will not be easy to read on the web.

--
Sincerely
Kid Stevens

"There's so much pollution in the air now that if it weren't
for our lungs there'd be no place to put it all."

- Robert Orben.